Monday, July 28, 2014

Hand Decor

Sorry, guys. This has to be a pretty short post because I just finished packing and it's nearly midnight. And I have to get up at 6:45 tomorrow. Anyway, it was our last day and emotions are running high! I know ten days sounds like a short period of time, but you have to understand that we spend more than 14 hours each day together.


8:00-9:00 AM               Breakfast
9:15-10:15 AM               Intervention Meetin: Final Preparations
10:30AM-12:30 PM      Public Health Intervention Presentations
12:30-1:45 PM              Lunch
2:00-3:00 PM              Lecture: Physician Assistants
3:15-4:15 PM                Clinical Diagnostic Simulation Wrap-Up
4:30-5:30 PM               Final TA Meeting
5:30-7:15 PM               Dinner
7:30-9:00 PM              Lecture: What I've Discovered (Leadership)
9:15-10:15 PM             "Farewell Social"
10:30 PM                      Floor Check

So we finished our giant project, and we thought everything was great. For the presentations, our slideshow went awesome. Then as the PSA played, we realized that some of the colors and fonts didn't show up on the big screen even though they were fine on the computer screen. We're still not quite sure what place we got but we're thinking second based on what we were told by our Stewie, our TA.

During lunch, I walked down with Chamberlain and Mel to T-shirt Orgi, which is the place where there;s a ton of Berkeley sweatshirts and things. They didn't have my size for sweatshirts, or even close for that matter, so I bought a little t-shirt that I will probably wear more often. There was a street fair going on on Telegraph so we stopped at a few of the booths. One of the booths had a bunch of gorgeous rings so I glanced over and didn't think much of it until I saw the price: 2 for $5. Yep, after spending at least twenty minutes picking out and sizing rings, I came out with three rings for only $5. The lady was so nice that she gave us a free ring with our purchase.

The henna and one ring
Looking up at the market
Turns out we diagnosed both of our patients correctly and had great bedside manner, with the exception of having a somewhat random line of question at times. Our first patient, mine, had Lyme Disease, and our second had Meningitis.

The final TA meeting was just an evaluation of the camp and staff. We ended up getting out super early and walking back down to Telegraph. I bought another ring! Then I got a little henna down my thumb. We all had one last dinner together at crossroads. After, we went to the "lecture" which was really just a talk and "exam." The final exam consisted of explaining a risk you have taken from the time you left home and how that has made you a better leader. Remember, we're in this giant auditorium with about 200 students. He said that he would sit down as soon as somebody stood up and went first. They would continue to stand until somebody else stood up and answered the question.

For some reason, I really needed to go first. Not want, because why should I put myself out there when I could just sit back and stay in the safety of blending in, but need. For some reason I knew that in order to get as much out of this camp as I could, I needed to go first and prove to myself that I can be a leader and be brave. So I got up and immediately asked myself why in the world I would be torturing myself like this. I mean, I'm pretty good with hiding my emotions but inside I was dying!! The actual answer went all right but then I had to awkwardly stand there until somebody else stood up. After what seemed like an eternity, which was really only a few seconds, somebody finally stood up and I got to sink back into the nice cushion of my seat, also known as my comfort zone.

At the end, we all gave hugs and a lot of people cried. I didn't but there's a high probablility that I will tomorrow. :(
My amazing TA group. :)

So much for a short post,
~Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment